Sunday, September 16, 2007

Max Payne

I decided to give the original Max Payne yet another run through; it's a bit dated by today's standards but it's still entertaining to play.
Censorship seems to be becoming one of my favourite topics! I noticed Max Payne was given a 15 certificate - I won't pretend that I fully know the process for rating video games (yet, at least), but I think 15 was too low considering some of the material in the game.
Aside from the gritty, raw violence, which really glorified firearms, there were other strong themes:-
Particularly during the early stages, drug abuse and prostitution played a large role, although Max Payne never indulged in the latter himself. However, in the plot is where my main evidence lies. Max is an anti-hero, he is killing in the name of vengeance. His wife and baby daughter are murdered by drug addicts in the very unpleasant opening scenes. I don't have any children myself, but that doesn't stop me agreeing that this scenario is the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone...
To be able to even remotely relate to Max, if at all, I believe the player needs to be more mature than any 15 year old...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Books Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory