Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rowing

Yesterday I got back from a (very) preliminary Rowing trial in Newcastle regarding the 2012 Olympic Games. Ok, so this sounds impressive, but it was really just aimed at discovering basic raw talent among young people regarding several sports - Handball, Volleyball and Rowing, (You need to be over 2 metres tall for Volleyball before even being considered) with the latter being my section.
The event involved a strength test, an endurance test and finally a short coaching session on Rowing machines. I generally fared well, with the strength test being my best as I had imagined. However, it was the endurance test which was probably the most interesting. This was done on an arms & leg exercise bike where you had to increase your speed over time, with the bike also increasing resistance over time, very tough for everyone but I found I did well.
I had always suspected that the dreaded leger test - used through school to test stamina - was more suited to small people and this was confirmed by the coordinator yesterday. Since I'm 6'4" and 108kg I'll always find the leger test doesn't reflect my true endurance with relation to my size. After all, you couldn't expect a 300lbs American footballer to run a Marathon, but you also wouldn't tell him he's not an athlete!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Books Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory