Thursday, March 27, 2008

Super Battle Opera / Tougeki

I've been following the developments of the upcoming Tekken and Soul Calibur sequels due to hit the shelves later this year. During one of my internet sessions I stumbled across the Tougeki, also known as the Super Battle Opera, which is a massive fighting game tournament held in Tokyo each year. It's regarded by many as the 'world cup of fighting games'. I feel that I should probably have noticed it long before I did, but serious competitive or professional gaming has never been something I've grown up with...
The tournament itself accommodates many games, all arcade versions as far as I know, but Soul Calibur 3 AE was the title that I personally found the most entertaining. There are several videos on the web from the latter stages of the tournament. One in particular, a semi-final match between Ivy and Zasalamel, which really showed off the skill of the players. Their reaction time really is split second, not to mention other qualities such as coordination. I play these fighting games but I'll never have the magic these players have...
Tougeki seems like a fantastic event, which is very good for the industry and indeed the genre, but there are many other fighting game tournaments all over the world, all with talented players. I feel that it is the competitive aspect that 'makes' this genre.
The Tougeki website is in Japanese but there is a wiki .
- Notice the really cool overhead screen. Any game would be awesome on a screen that size!! Well maybe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Books Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory