Tuesday, January 01, 2008

CGS

I've been watching the Championship Gaming Series on Sky One for the past week. I'd visited the website several times but it came as a bit of a surprise to see the action televised. It's apparently the first true professional video gaming organisation, revolving around a league structure with paid players.
The whole idea is very good for the video game industry, it brings video games into the spotlight, and casts a more serious aspect to gaming. It also appears to redraw a more firm boundary line between pro or high level gaming, and casual (or amateur) gaming. Like any sport, the featured games are versatile enough to define a huge array of differing skill levels between players.
From watching the matches, I realise now how good these gamers actually are, and the practice that's required. Although games are my passion, I am very much an average player, without any great aptitude.
Having said that, competitive gaming is a different world to what I and many gamers alike are accustomed to. I have always been more interested in single player, story driven games and have had little time & opportunity to get into online competition, etc.

I'll need to write more on this topic...

Check out the website at http://www.thecgs.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Books Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory