Monday, June 09, 2008

Maybe another possible reason why GTA IV is so good

Okay, so I still haven't bought the game but this idea was something that struck me when walking through one of the less salubrious areas of Glasgow by myself. When you move to a large city, it can be, in a sense, oppressive. You feel like a small, insignificant part of a much larger machine. There is so much that you feel cut off from. This is particularly true for me as a graduate who is starting to look for work. I must start at the bottom of the pile and have realised that there are so many others, older than me, and indeed 'ahead' of me. It makes you realise how little power you actually have...
With GTA IV, although you begin in a large, unfamiliar city, you are cast in the role of a 'rock hard' character, who takes part all the illegal activities which, in effect, keep us all under control in real life. How many times have you been told not to go to a particular area, or not to trust a particular company/website, etc...!!? In GTA IV, you are the very person you would be afraid of in real life! This sense of power is very appealing to many, it suspends the disbelief.
I feel that there are other subtle hints towards this in the game. For example, the fact that you can climb to a high point, and look out over the cityscape. Being in a position where you can see a whole city sometimes makes you feel as if you own it... Or maybe this is just me!
Think it's time to look away from a computer screen for a bit...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Books Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory